The African Studies Program Planning committee and director Neil Kodesh are pleased to announce that once again we will be able to make a limited number of research awards to UW-Madison faculty and staff members wishing to advance their production of knowledge about Africa. The awards are made possible by our reservation of funds in the African Studies Program’s 2013-14 NRC (Title VI) grant, supplemented by an allocation of funds from the UW-Madison International Institute.
Awards may be requested for any amount between $1,000 and $5,000.
We anticipate allocating awards totaling about $25,000.
Funds must be spent by 14 August 2014, when our current Title VI grant expires. Proposals should be clear about project start and end dates.
1. Awardees must be faculty or staff members of the UW-Madison pursuing research on Africa or on connections between Africa and other parts of the world.
2. Awards must be used directly to support the recipient’s research, with travel, including travel to Africa or to a library, archive, or community outside of Africa (including the African diaspora), the norm. Research costs apart from travel may be supported (e.g., book or software purchase, translation services, data set acquisition), but award funds may not be used for UW-Madison salaries, assistantships, or hourly wages. Awards will not support travel (to Madison or anywhere) by persons other than the recipient.
1. Priority will be given to proposals that show a high probability of expediting scholarly publications or other original work that advances knowledge of Africa or Africa’s relations with other parts of the world.
2. Priority for at least one award will go to assistant professors.
3. We will give serious consideration to making at least one award to a UW-Madison faculty member who is not a member of the African Studies Program now, but who wishes to begin engaging Africa in his or her research and might join the African Studies Program later. (ASP members, please pass word of this opportunity to appropriate colleagues.)
4. Persons who received an ASP research travel award in 2013 are eligible but will have low priority.
To apply, assemble all three of the following in a single pdf file:
(1) A proposal of no more than 2 single-spaced pages outlining the project on which the funds would be used, work accomplished to date (if any), other funding received or anticipated (if any), specific intended uses of ASP funds, and plans for production or publication, including an idea of when the work might come out.
(2) A budget, which does not need to be elaborate (several lines of word-processed text and numbers would be fine, as would be a single brief spreadsheet) outlining the anticipated costs of each aspect for which you seek funding.
(3) A current, abbreviated CV, no more than 2 pages in length; please do not send a full CV.
Attach the single pdf containing these three items to an email message to email@example.com. The subject line of the message should read, “Faculty/Staff Research Award Application.”
The application deadline is February 8, 2014.
A subcommittee of the African Studies Program Planning Committee will make selections.
Planning Committee members are eligible to apply and will recuse themselves if they have a proposal under consideration.
We will notify all applicants of results in February.