The deadline to apply for the Mandela Washington Fellowship Reciprocal Exchange Component has been extended to Wednesday, April 11, 2018! This application round is open to all cohorts of Mandela Washington Fellows.
The Reciprocal Exchange Component provides Americans with the opportunity to travel to Africa to build upon strategic partnerships and professional connections developed during the Mandela Washington Fellowship in the United States:
- The Reciprocal Exchange Component provides funds for American professionals to travel to sub-Saharan African countries to continue collaborative work with Mandela Washington Fellows on the continent.
- American professionals may include those met during the Mandela Washington Fellowship through site visits, networking, the Summit, Professional Development Experiences, or other activities.
- Through these projects, Americans and young African leaders form lasting partnerships, expand markets and networks, and increase mutual understanding between the United States and countries in sub-Saharan Africa.
Learn how Americans have leveraged the Reciprocal Exchange Component to increase opportunities for their businesses in the United States. Learn about previous projects between Fellows and American professionals.
Reciprocal Exchange Award Timeline
- Application Deadline: April 11, 2018
- Grant Period: July – November 2018
American professionals participating in the Reciprocal Exchange must be U.S. citizens currently living in the United States and must not have previously received a Reciprocal Exchange award. Americans may not be current U.S. Federal Government employees.
Fellows must be considered alumni of the Fellowship by the U.S. Department of State and must not have previously received a Reciprocal Exchange award.
- Reciprocal Exchange application guidelines (PDF, 571 KB)
- Frequently asked questions (PDF, 495 KB)
- American professional application form
- Fellow application form
- Work plan template
- Budget template
- Reciprocal Exchange overview (PDF, 424 KB)
Please contact REmwf@irex.org with any questions