Send in your best snapshots from abroad and take part in International Academic Programs’ Study Abroad Photo Contest! Winning submissions will be featured on the IAP website, across campus, and in study abroad print and digital promotional materials.
1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winning photos will be printed for display on campus, and winners will be able to take them home at the end of the semester!
Submissions will be accepted until Monday, April 2, 2018. Our panel of judges will review the photos and choose finalists in each category. Winners will be announced in late April.
2018 Photo Categories
- Badger Pride
Show us how you demonstrated your Badger pride while abroad.
- Post Card Perfect
Submit the photo you think is postcard quality and says the most about your unique study abroad experience.
- Cultures in Communication
Personally experiencing another country allows you to expand your worldview beyond surface-level differences. Submit photos that features you or fellow study abroad students engaging in a cross-cultural experience (such as teaching or learning a new skill, participating in a local tradition, celebration, or custom, or sharing aspects of culture, etc.)
- In Class and on the Job
Learning occurs in a variety of settings, including both classroom and internship environments. Submit photos capturing active engagement in the classroom, on a class excursion, or featuring your internship opportunity abroad!
- Out in the Field
One of the strengths of studying abroad is conducting research in the environment you’re studying! Show us your best fieldwork, site visit, and research photos that highlight getting “hands on” outside of the lecture hall.
Who can enter?
- UW-Madison students who participated in an IAP sponsored study abroad or study away program.
What photos can be submitted?
- Photos taken during your study abroad experience.
- Photos taken by you (the person submitting the photo).
- Eligible participants may submit up to three (3) photos per category.
- Images must be at least 1 MB in size with dpi 300 or higher.
- Photos must be in their original digital file (no Facebook photos).
- Entries must be submitted online.
- Each submission must include the following information:
- Your name
- Your contact information
- Your study abroad program name and year of study
- Photo title
- The location the photo was taken in
- If there are multiple students in the photo, please include their names
- A brief description (30-120 words)
- Photos may not be digitally altered beyond basic color correction.
- Photos can be color, or black & white.
- Photo file types accepted are .JPEG or .PNG
- Filenames must be formatted accordingly:
- Please do not use special/extended characters
Entries will be judged on how they capture the category description, as well as their artistic expression, creativity, originality, and image quality.
Photography is a useful tool to help convey an experience or a memory, but it is important to recognize the power photos can have and to share them ethically. Photos must be culturally appropriate and sensitive.
- Please avoid submitting images that
- Make false generalizations
- Lead to inaccuracy or misrepresentations of the host country, people, or setting.
- When submitting photos of people, think less like a tourist and more like a local who is communicating what it is like to experience day-to-day events and activities.
- For more background information on this subject, please see the following links:
Terms and Conditions
By entering the contest, you are giving IAP permission to use your photo(s) and other information/comments submitted in various marketing activities, publications and/or the web for the purpose of promoting study abroad at UW Madison. All photos, not just winning photos, may be used by IAP for the purposes noted above.