The Institute for Religion, Culture, and Public Life at Columbia University invites applications for postdoctoral research scholars for a period of three academic years beginning on September 1, 2018. The Institute plans to make two appointments (pending funding), with one position focused on Africa and the other on South Asia. The yearly renewal of the position(s) is contingent upon funding and performance. The postdoctoral research scholar(s) will actively participate in the intellectual development and program activities related to the project “Rethinking Public Religion in Africa and South Asia.” The project envisions a partnership between IRCPL, the Institute for African Studies, and the South Asia Institute for research, programming, and coursework on the changing dynamics of interactions among religious communities in the modern world, considering the ways in which religion becomes public through diverse forms of encounter, with a focus on interegional differences and flows across South Asia and Africa. The Institute is seeking outstanding applicants with demonstrated excellence in research, writing, and teaching in relation to Africa and/or South Asia. Topical expertise should include knowledge of one or more religious tradition, but might also include a focus on secularism, media, space, or the body. The postdoctoral research
scholar(s) will be expected to conduct his or her own research, teach classes (no more than one per semester), and actively participate in the planning of program activities for the Rethinking Public Religion in Africa and South Asia project. The courses may be cross-listed in the Department of Religion and the Institute for African Studies or the South Asia Institute, as relevant to expertise. In addition, at least one course in the three-year fellowship may involve a one-week international field trip with students.
Field(s) of Specialization: Religion and Public Life Position Title: Postdoctoral Research Scholar Summary
School/Institute/Unit: Arts and Sciences Minimum Degree Required: Ph.D.
Minimum Qualifications: All applicants MUST meet these minimum qualifications to be considered for the position. PhD in religious studies, anthropology, history, or a related discipline is required. The degree must have been awarded between 08-31-2016 and 08-31-2018.
Additional Information: This is a full time salaried position with benefits. Review of applications will begin on April 23, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled.
Posting Date: 03-13-2018
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicants: All applications must be submitted through Columbia University’s online Recruitment of Academic Personnel System (RAPS) and must include:
1. Cover Letter: Briefly describe your work in relation to the Institute and one or more of the listed thematic areas, identify a proposed departmental affiliation for teaching, and explain why Columbia University is a particularly good place to pursue your research (two page maximum).
2. Curriculum Vitae
3. Teaching Statement: Titles and short descriptions (one or two paragraphs each) of at least two courses that you could teach (submit as “Other Document 1”). Please note that we are not requesting a statement of teaching philosophy or full syllabi at this point.
4. Writing Sample: One sample equivalent to a single journal article, book chapter, or dissertation chapter. The writing sample may be published or unpublished. It must be in English (maximum 50 pages).
5. A list of names and contact details of for two referees familiar with your work RAPS will accommodate uploads of maximum two (2) megabytes in size. After completing the “Provide References” screens, the applicant will come to the “Attach Documents” screen and be asked to upload into RAPS the required application materials listed above. The completion of this application process in RAPS is indicated by a confirmation number, which the applicant should retain.
Proposed Start Date:09-01-2018
EEO Statement: Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Date Review Begins: 04-23-2018
Required Applicant Documents for Upload:
1. Curriculum Vitae
2. Cover Letter
3. List of References
4. Writing Sample/Publication 1
5. Other Document 1
6. Optional Applicant Documents for Upload